Monday, November 7, 2011

Thank You For Your Service

As Veteran's Day approaches in a few days, I want to say "thank you for your service" to all of the veterans who risked their lives to keep the United States of America safe.
These men and women put their lives on hold and leave their families to protect us. They leave the luxuries we have here, and go to a place with blistering temperatures and terrible conditions. They watch their friends die, and too many have given up their lives. Spouses and children are left behind, devastated. They are dying over there! They are dying.
I pray for peace for these men and women who are struggling with PTSD, burns, missing limbs and all other issues resulting from the war, we are so grateful for their sacrifices and their bravery.
When my friend, Nathan Wyrick, was killed in Afghanistan I had an epiphany. These soldiers don't get the appreciation they deserve.
My cousin Heather inspired me to thank a soldier as we crossed paths, which is what I do now. I remember the first time I heard her thank a veteran. Heather, a Marine's wife, knows all too well the pressures of being a military wife. We were at the store, and we saw an old man with a veteran's hat on. Heather stopped and sweetly said, "thank you for your service". I'll never forget how his face lit up, and he graciously nodded back at her. It was a beautiful moment. So let me inspire you to thank a veteran today.
Thank you.

1 comment:

Heather Mattos said...

okay... I am extremely hormonal and you have made me cry just reading this. i love you.